As the world continues to move away from fossil fuel energy sources, nuclear power is making a resurgence. Not only does nuclear power provide clean, efficient energy for municipal power grids worldwide, but it also provides a variety of smaller-scale services in medical, research, academic, and industrial applications. To ensure individual and workplace safety, manufacturers have developed a variety of nuclear tapes, labels, and signage that can be used to seal protective barriers, and affix signs and labels to notify people of possible radiation exposure, levels of radioactivity, and more.
At NADCO, we understand that each application is different, which is why we provide a wide range of nuclear tape and label designs, features, and customization options. We aim to enhance the safety of nuclear applications with quality adhesive solutions for every situation, from nuclear warning labels and RAD wipes to hazard tape and radioactivity indicator signage.
1. Where do we commonly see adhesive tapes and labels in the nuclear industry?
Pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes and safety labels are used in a variety of nuclear applications to warn users of potential radioactive hazards and guarantee the safety of individuals in the vicinity. Adhesive tapes seal ducts, pipes, connections, and caps to prevent leakage of radioactive materials into and out of nuclear power generation equipment.
Critical warning tape, safety decals, and hazard labels are also applied to surfaces in medical diagnostic equipment, industrial labs, and academic research facilities. Nuclear decals and radioactive labels identify radioactive materials and provide handling instructions throughout manufacturing, storage, and shipping processes. With quality nuclear labels and RAD warning signage, facilities reduce the potential for dangerous radiation exposure.
2. Why are adhesive tapes and labels used for nuclear applications?
Adhesive tapes and labels enhance the safety and efficiency of a variety of nuclear applications, including:
- Contamination Control: Nuclear tape is used to reduce the potential for contamination in processes that involve radioactive materials. They are used to seal ducts and lines, cover openings, and affix instructions and warning labels to facilitate safe operations.
- Corrosion Resistance: Nuclear tapes are applied to the surface of sensitive pipes, connections, and other components in nuclear applications to prevent damage from corrosion or abrasion.
- General Adhesion: Nuclear adhesive tapes are also used for general adhesive applications such as minor repairs and fixes, hanging general signage, and securing protective gear.
- Safety Precautions: In nuclear applications, safety is paramount. That’s why nuclear tapes and labels are critical to ensure that workers avoid hazardous areas and know to wear the appropriate protective equipment. In addition, they help to prevent radioactive exposure by clearly identifying the presence of radioactive components and equipment while they are being used, stored, or shipped.
- Testing and Cleanup Equipment: Tapes and labels are used in RAD smear and wipe test kits to provide clear identification and instructions for safe, reliable testing and spill cleanup.
3. What are the various types of nuclear tapes and labels?
Accurate labeling, visible signage, and clear delineation of hazardous areas are crucial for safe nuclear operations. Pressure-sensitive adhesive tapes and labels are the perfect way to ensure that workers are both informed and protected. Common nuclear labels and tapes include:
- Warning Labels and Signage: Labels and signage are used to indicate the level of risk for radiation exposure and advise of appropriate precautions.
- Sealing and Marking Tapes: Tapes are used to seal containers and equipment to prevent radioactive leakage. They can also be created with custom surface finishes and printed markings to provide critical warnings and protection information.
- RAD Wipe Test Smears: RAD wipe test smears are specialized cloth disks that allow users to test for radiation contamination through a simple test swipe.
Benefits of Nuclear Tapes and Labels
Tapes and labels used for nuclear applications are specifically designed for reliability in critical applications. To ensure that they meet stringent industry specifications and regulatory requirements, NADCO’s nuclear tapes and labels come with the following features:
- Superior conformability
- Flame retardancy
- Free of low melting-point metals such as mercury and cadmium
- Minimal halogen and sulfide content
- Outstanding adhesion
- High-tack adhesive
- Waterproof backing
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor applications
- Reduces stress cracking in stainless steel pipes
Durable Nuclear Tape and Labels From NADCO
At NADCO, we are dedicated to providing our customers in the nuclear industry with dependable adhesive solutions that meet and exceed even the most stringent standards. We produce and supply a variety of pressure-sensitive products ideal for warning, marking, sealing, repairing, and smear testing for various industries that use radioactive materials. Our products are held to the highest standards as dictated by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
To learn more about our extensive selection of nuclear tape and label solutions, contact us today or request a quote.